Gluten Free Waffles Recipe2014-06-23
- Yield : 8 waffles
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 35m
Everyone will love our gluten free waffles recipe, guaranteed! These waffles are amazingly light and crispy in texture, and no one will guess that they are wheat free! Serve them with your favorite fresh fruit and whipped cream or Greek yogurt for the ultimate energizing morning (or anytime) treat.
Tips (refer to ingredients below):
* To make your own gluten free flour, mix 1¾ cups sorghum flour, ¼ cup arrowroot or tapioca powder and 2 teaspoons xantan gum.
** For vegan waffles, substitute the eggs with 3 tablespoons flaxseeds mixed with 9 tablespoons water and refrigerated for about 15 minutes before using.
*** Use your favorite non-diary milk if you are lactose intolerant or vegan.
- 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour*
- ¼ teaspoon each ground cinnamon and nutmeg (optional)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 eggs, separated**
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar (use raw cane sugar if available)
- 2 cups milk***
- 2 cups mixed berries
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup maple syrup (optional)
Preheat waffle iron.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and nutmeg, baking powder, sea salt and baking soda.
In another bowl, whisk together sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract, melted butter, sugar and 1 cup milk. Carefully stir in the dry ingredients, adding more milk as needed to form a smooth batter.
Whip the egg whites in a separate bowl to stiff peaks and gently fold into the batter.
Pour about ½ cup batter onto the waffle iron and cook, according to the manufacturer’s instructions, until golden brown and crispy.
Serve with fresh berries, Greek yogurt and maple syrup.